The International Society for the Study of Early Medieval England is open to all scholars interested in the languages, literatures, arts, history, and material culture of early medieval England. ISSEME’s work currently includes mounting our biennial conference, running graduate workshops, awarding publication prizes, sponsoring “New Voices” sessions at the Kalamazoo and Leeds medieval conferences for early-career scholars, and maintaining the ISSEME listserv and on-line membership directory as a central basis of communication for members. ISSEME also works to support affiliated organizations such as the Old English Newsletter, the scholarly journal Anglo-Saxon England, and the Lynn Grundy Memorial Trust. For all of this, and more, a far-reaching membership base is vital, and so if you are not a member, please do consider joining us!
We strongly encourage graduate student participation in the Society and to that end have reserved a section of our website for information and various other matters of immediate interest to graduate students.
If you are a student please head to our student membership application form; if you are retired or unwaged, please head to our concessionary membership application form.
As a member of ISSEME you will:
- support a society that brings together scholars interested in the languages, literatures, arts, history, and material culture of early medieval England and facilitates an exchange of ideas and materials within and among the disciplines through its organisation of biennial conferences;
- be eligible to submit an abstract and give a paper at ISSEME conferences and, for those who are eligible, at the ISSEME New Voices panels at the International Congress on Medieval Studies (Kalamazoo) and at the International Medieval Congress (Leeds);
- be eligible to submit your published work for the biennial ISSEME publication prizes;
- have access to the regularly updated membership directory;
- receive a discount from Cambridge UP on the journal Anglo-Saxon England (The price (in USD) for ISSEME members is $72.00 – about a 20% discount from individual subscription rate of $89.00. You can contact CUP, who can provide you with a proforma invoice for a volume, or you can contact them by phone with your credit card information.) ;
- indirectly support charities related to our field (like the Dictionary of Old English).