The International Society for the Study of Early Medieval England is open to all scholars interested in the languages, literatures, arts, history, and material culture of early medieval England. ISSEME’s work currently includes mounting our biennial conference, running graduate workshops, awarding publication prizes, sponsoring “New Voices” sessions at the Kalamazoo and Leeds medieval conferences for early-career scholars, and maintaining the ISSEME fora and on-line membership directory as a central basis of communication for members. ISSEME also works to support affiliated organizations such as the Old English Newsletter, the scholarly journal Anglo-Saxon England, and the Lynn Grundy Memorial Trust. For all of this, and more, a far-reaching membership base is vital, and so if you are not a member, please do consider joining us!
We strongly encourage graduate student participation in the Society and to that end have reserved a section of our website for information and various other matters of immediate interest to graduate students.
Advantages of membership
As a member of ISSEME you will:
- support a society that brings together scholars interested in the languages, literatures, arts, history, and material culture of early medieval England and facilitates an exchange of ideas and materials within and among the disciplines through its organisation of biennial conferences.
- be eligible to submit an abstract and give a paper at ISSEME conferences and, for those who are eligible, at the ISSEME New Voices panels at the International Congress on Medieval Studies (Kalamazoo) and at the International Medieval Congress (Leeds)
- be eligible to submit your published work for the biennial ISSEME publication prizes
- have access to the membership directory and the member fora
- receive a discount of 20% from Cambridge UP on the journal Anglo-Saxon England. The pricing for 2023 will be as follows for individual subscribers: £91/$141 for print (with ISSEME discount: £72.80/$113); £20/$25 for online-only (with ISSEME discount:£16/$20). You can contact CUP, who can provide you with a proforma invoice for a volume, or you can contact them by phone with your credit card information.)
- indirectly support charities related to our field (like the Dictionary of Old English)
Joining or renewing your membership
Biennial membership dues are $60USD for regular members, and $40USD for students and concessionary (retired or unwaged) members.
A new online membership system allows you to check your membership status and to edit your own contact details. You will be reminded by email when it is time to renew your membership, and you can pay by credit card, debit card, or PayPal. Your login details will also serve as the basis for the members-only section of the website.
Current Members: If you are already a member of ISSEME, and wish to check or renew your membership, see the membership directory or update your contact information, click here. To log on, you will need the e-mail address associated with your ISSEME membership, and your password. You can always reset your password by clicking “Forgot password”.
If you are logging in for the first time you may find it helpful to use these instructions with screenshots which will walk you through the process of logging in and changing your password.
If you are having trouble remembering your registered email address or setting your password, email the web manager.